Backer's Potato Chip company was founded in 1931, by Grandpa and Grandma Backer on the bank of Hillers Creek in Callaway County, Missouri. At that time we did not have electricity and the potatoes were peeled by hand, sliced in a hand crank slicer and cooked in a 16 inch diameter donut kettle a few pounds at a time. Our distribution area was a 15 mile radius with the potato chips delivered with the family car. The bags were of waxed paper and closed with a paper clip.
To accommodate a growing customer base, Backer's moved to a basement at 201 east fifth street in Fulton Missouri and began producing 50 pounds of chips per hour. A few years later Backer's was relocated to it current location at 1 west industrial road. The plant has since expanded several times and currently produces over 7,000 pounds of potato chips per hour. Today you can find the plant making chips 5 days a week while shipping them all across the United States as well as into parts of Canada and Mexico.
Backer's has endured many changes through out our history. But one thing has not changed, the Backer Family commitment to make the best quality potato chips possible!